The past few months have been full of news coverage around data breaches and the need for data awareness. From hospitals to universities to children’s toys, data attacks are coming full force, and IT pros …
Three things every IT pro must do to maintain regulatory compliance
Your customers depend on you to ensure their data is safe. Are you doing your job?
Maintaining customer data safety is a big job, regardless of your industry. One single data breach – big or small – can damage an organization’s reputation and staying on top of regulations can be a full-time job. In order to prevent attacks, sensitive data is governed by regulations such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA), just to name a few.
So how do you make sure you’re staying compliant?
One example: Our good friends at Jungle Jim’s International Market, the largest independent grocer and retailer in the world and biggest American Express processor in the U.S., know how important it is to keep customer data safe and tapped us to help ensure PCI-DSS compliance. Together, we worked through the five W’s of data intelligence to develop a plan that would best defend its security:
- Who has access to your data?
- Where does it live?
- What sensitive data do we have?
- What can we learn from data activity?
- Why does it matter?
Almost immediately, we were able to confirm that Jungle Jim’s was indeed adequately protecting sensitive files, making it so both customers and credit card companies could rest easy knowing their data was in good hands.
If you too want to feel confident in your data security, check out our solution brief, “Meeting Compliance Goals by Controlling Access to Private Data.” It maps out the keys for maintaining regulatory compliance and keeping sensitive data safe. Here are some highlights every IT and security pro should know:
- Understand your data: You can’t truly keep track of your data unless you have the full picture. DataGravity for Virtualization enables organizations to find out where your sensitive data lives so you can better detect anomalous user access behavior and defend against careless exposure.
- Remember customization is king: Data can differ depending on the size of your company, the file type, where it lives and what it contains. DataGravity for Virtualization can analyze content from more than 600 file types so you can evaluate and export reports across multiple departments to fit your organization’s specific needs and workflow.
- Arm yourself: DataGravity for Virtualization identifies what data users are accessing, who they are, what they did to the data and when they did it. Armed with this knowledge, organizations are better prepared to respond immediately to inappropriate actions and minimize risk.